The duplicate check feature exists as a pre-step when creating entities using the Entity wizard in WorkPoint 365 and in WorkPoint Express.
When creating a new entity through the wizard, the duplicate check feature searches for existing entities which matches the meta data for the entity being created. If an existing entity has data matching the one being created, the feature will let you know.
Please be aware that if the field used for checking for duplicates is not set to enforce unique values, entity creation will not be blocked.
Please also be aware that the Duplicate Check feature does not prevent you from making duplicate entities - it merely checks before entity creation if a similar entity exists.
Setting a field to enforce unique values
To set a field to enforce unique values, follow these steps:
- In the "List" ribbon on the list, click "Settings" followed by "List Settings".
- In the "Columns" section of the list settings page, click the field which should enforce unique values.
- In the field settings, set the "Enforce unique values" option to "Yes".
- Click the "OK" button to save the field settings.
The feature in action
- Right click in WorkPoint Express and choose to create an new company, internal case, project, etc.
Duplicate check wizard
- Click in the Name or address field and type in the company name or Address of the company you are about to create.
- Click Next
- There was a match on the company name.
- You can ignore the match and create a new company or edit the existing company
- Click next
Edit existing company
- Fill in relevant updated information in the fields.
- Click Next.
- A summary of your choices are displayed.
- Click Finish.
Duplicate check from the browser
The feature works exactly the same in the browser.
- Click New Company/Project/Case etc.
- The wizard starts up with the exact same user interface as when it was started from within WorkPoint Express.
Access the duplicate Check settings
- On any given business module click on list settings.
- On the list settings page click on Business module settings.
- In the WorkPoint administration select and expand a business module.
- Chose duplicate check
- In WorkPoint Server, you will find find the Duplicate Settings at the bottom at the business module settings.
- This setting enables or disables the feature on the current business module.
- With operators like AND, Equal and Contains you can set up as complex or simple duplicate check rules as you like.
- A check mark here results in the field being visible on the duplicate check form.
- A check mark in the required field, indicates that the user must fill out the field, when checking for duplicates.
- Open the Create Entity wizard from the My Tools panel.
- Type the desired data you wish to check for before creating the new entity. In this example, we want to make sure we do not create a project called "Office 365 implementation" in case one already exists.
- In this example, we find that there already exists an entity called "Office 365 implementation". We therefore proceed to pt. 3 where we create a new entity
- We click the "Create Project" button to create a new project. The desired name we searched for will be inserted into the name for the ne wproject, but we should keep in mind that we already have an entity with the same name. We should therefore change the name in the settings for the new entity.
- If we select the search result in pt. 3 and click "Select and continue", we will be taken to the existing entity site.
- If we select the search result in pt. 3 and click "select and edit" we will be taken to the edit page for the existing entity.