In this guide you will learn how to use mail merge with excel documents.
- Creating Excel templates with mail merge fields
- Creating a document based on the template and merging entity data to the merge fields in the template
Creating Excel templates with mail merge fields
- In the "My Tools" menu on the root site click on the "Template Library" button
Choosing the business module for the new template
- Click on the "Excel" icon to open its sub-menu
- Choose one of the business modules from which you want to merge data into the document
Choosing the file name and file extension for the new template
- Enter a file name for the template
- Choose a file extension for the template from the dropdown menu
- Click on "Create"
Checking the field names in the "Name Manager"
- Open the "Formulas" tab in your document
- Click on "Name Manager"
- In the "Name Manager" you can check the name of the fields to insert into the excel template. Those values will be replaced with the actual values when you create a document from this template.
Inserting the placeholders into the document
- Select a field in your document and start typing "=" followed by the name of the field you want to insert. Note that you always can look them up in the "Name Manager" again if you don't remember them.
- Now select one of the entity names by clicking on it, then press [TAB] to insert it into the selected field.
Example of a template document
Here you can see an example of what a template document could look like.
Saving the template in the Template Library
- In the "File" tab of Excel click on "Save As"
- Ensure that the URL to your Template Library is selected
- Then click on "Save"
Editing the properties of the template
- Check the boxes for business modules in which this template should be available
- Check this box to activate the template
- OPTIONAL Fill out this box to instruct other users how they should use this template
- Click on "Save"
Creating a document based on the template and merging entity data to the merge fields in the template
Note: if you are using WorkPoint Server (on-premises) the wizard used below will look different.
- From an entity site in a module supported by the template, click on the to the in the "Document" button located in the "New" section of the "My Tools" menu
Naming the new document
- Enter a name for the new document
- Click on "Choose alternative document template" to view the available templates
Selecting the template for the new document
- Select the template you want to use for the new document
- Click on "Save and edit" and wait for the excel document to open
Editing and saving the new document
- Click on "Edit Workbook" to edit the document.
- When you finished editing the document click on the "Save" button to save the document.