Article last updated on the 9th of January 2020.
Field mappings can be subcategorized into "Common field mappings", "Active field mappings", "My entities field mapping", "Current user mapping", and "General field mappings".
These specific areas will be described in this article.
2. Field mappings
You can access the Field Mappings configuration page from the WorkPoint Administration:
- In the WorkPoint Administration dashboard, click the header of a business module for which field mapping should be set up.
- Click "Field Mappings".
2.1. Common field mappings
Common field mapping makes it possible to define fields for mapping across multiple business modules.
A common field can be created, and this field can be mapped to specific field on separate business modules. In effect, this makes it possible when creating new documents based on a template to insert the common field, and have the data in the field be dependent on which module the document was created on.
As an example, we can create a common field called "EntityID":
- From the Field Mappings Settings interface, click "Add/remove field definitions" under the Common field mappings section.
- Enter a name for the common field.
- Click the "Add" button. The field is added to the list of common fields.
- Click "Save".
- Back in the Field Mappings Settings interface, the EntityID common field can now be mapped to a field on the business module. In this example, we are on a Projects module, and the EntityID common field has been mapped to the "Project ID" field on the module.
- The "EntityID" common field is also accessible from any other business module on the solution. On the Companies module, the EntityID common field could be mapped to the Company ID field.
When creating new documents based on a template containing the EntityID common field, the data that will be merged into the document via this field depends on which business module the document is created on. If it is created on the Projects module, the Project ID is merged into the document. If the document is created on the Companies module, the Company ID will be inserted.
If you want more information about how to create templates, follow this link.
2.2. Active field mappings
Active field mapping is used to define a field on an entity which determines whether the entity is considered "Active" or not. This can be used for e.g. filtering in WorkPoint Express.
In this example, we have selected that the "Stage" field on the entity determines whether the entity is considered active. The entity is considered active if the values in the "Stage" field is either "Planning" or "Active". This can be used to filter entities in WorkPoint Express:
2.3. My entities field mapping
My entities field mapping can be used to filter entities based on the currently logged in user.
In this example, we have checked the "Project manager" and "Team" fields. This means that, if used for filtering, we will only be shown entities for which the currently logged in user is set as either Project Manager or part of the project Team.
In the image above, the "My items" filter has been applied, which works with the My entities field mapping.
2.4. Current user mapping field
The Current user mapping field can be used to define a field to get a current user from. The user pulled from this field can be used when performing mail merge into templates in WorkPoint. This field mapping makes most sense when used in on a module containing contacts of some kind.
The Current user mapping field becomes available for mail merge just as any other mail merge fields when creating documents based on templates in WorkPoint. That means that when this is set up, the current user mapping can be used to merge into the document information about the current user, such as the contact's job position, his/her email address, phone number, or other information.
2.5. General field mappings
General field mappings can be used to enhance the user experience when using WorkPoint on mobile platforms.
- We encourage setting up General field mappings, to make sure that users get an enhanced mobile experience, when using our mobile platforms.
- The phone, email and URL columns are not only used by our mobile platform, but are also used in our Express panel in WorkPoint 365. So we encourage settings these up as well.
- As a result of setting up the general field mappings for email, URL and phone, is actionable links in the search result.