Often a user has the need to copy an existing entity. A typical case for this is that a new entity is needed which resembles an already existing one. This way, the user skips entering in basic data again and creating items, documents and folders.
This feature is accessed through a Wizard which guides the user through the following steps;
- Choosing the source entity (the entity from which to copy).
- Entering master data pre-entered from the source with opportunity to enter additional data.
- Choosing the Scope of what to copy. The following can be chosen:
- Entity lists items.
- Entity library documents.
- Entity library folders.
Step 1 from the list above can be skipped, in case the copy-entity action is performed directly on a selected entity in the entity list.
This feature is useful e.g. if a user wants to create a new entity which largely resembles an already existing one. The user finds the existing entity in its business module list and clicks the “Copy Entity” button from the command bar. By doing this, the Copy Entity wizard opens, and takes the user through the steps to copy the entity, allowing the user to enter custom master data specific for the new entity.
A valid Wizard Configurator license is required for this feature to work.
In order to set up the Wizard to copy entities, follow these steps:
- Click to Home button of the solution.
- Enter the WorkPoint 365 Administration by clicking the cog-icon in the bottom of the menu.
- Enter the Wizard Configurator from the WorkPoint 365 Administration side menu.
- At the bottom of the Wizard Configurator, click “Add Wizard Configuration”.
In the newly opened page the Copy Entity Wizards needs to be set up as follows:
- Set a title for the Wizard.
- Optionally add a translation to the title.
- Enter a description for the Wizard.
- Optionally add a translation to the Wizard description.
- Check “Enabled”.
- Check “Enabled for Command bar”. If this is checked, a button for opening the wizard is created in the command bar, as shown in the image below:
- Select the flows as shown in the image by clicking the green bar and adding the relevant flows.
- Finalize the creation of the Wizard by clicking “Save” at the bottom of the page.
This wizard can also be started using a button on the MyTools panel. For this, configuration of a button on the MyTools panel needs to be set up. To do this, access the WorkPoint 365 Administration, and navigate to the MyTools interface via the button on the left side bar of the administration page, and follow these steps:
- Select the business module for which you wish to create a copy entity-button.
- Select the button-group that the Copy Entity-button should be nested under.
- Click the Add Button-button in the menu to the right.
- Input a label for the button.
- Select an icon that represents the action to be made.
- Select the type. In this case, we want to run the wizard for copying an entity.
- Select the wizard that should be opened.
- Select the business module to search through for the target entity (generally the same as the instance selected previously).
The rest of the options are not relevant for this configuration and should be ignored.
Finalize the creation and configuration of the new button by clicking the Save-button:
Before being able to see the new button, the WorkPoint 365 Browser Cache needs to be cleared.
You do this by clicking the Home side panel button then clicking “Need help?” at the bottom (1). You can now click “Clear WorkPoint 365 browser cache” (2), as seen in the image below:
A button should now appear in the MyTools panel of entities of the business module for which we just configured the Copy Entity-button:
4. End User Guide
After having set up the Wizard for copying entities, we can use the Wizard to copy e.g. a Company from the Companies business module list:
- We go to the Companies business module list.
- We select the entity that we wish to copy.
- We open the Wizard by clicking the Copy Entity-button, which is accessible from the Command bar.
The wizard features several choices, which the user must make (Note that the selection of libraries and lists reflects those on the entity to copy. This selection may be different from other entities.):
- The first choice is whether or not to copy over existing relations from the business module. Relations can e.g. be contacts which are spread out on multiple companies and/or projects.
- The next choice is whether Documents list folders and/or folder contents should be copied. Note that you cannot copy content without copying the folder structure. Also note that documents and/or items with custom security permissions will not be copied. A case of when you could want to copy folders and not also items could be if you wanted to create a project that resembles the source, and the source has a complex folder structure that you also want, but does not need the items inside, then you can select to only copy over the folder structure by only selecting “Folders”, and deselect “Content”.
- The third choice is mostly the same as the second one but referring to emails. The same restrictions apply when copying emails as when copying document and/or items. This only refers to email libraries in WorkPoint 365, NOT Email Manager journals.
- The fourth choice is whether to copy over Events.
- The fifth choice is whether to copy over Notes.
- The sixth choice is whether to copy over Tasks.
- Once all choices have been made, and the relevant controls selected, you can click “Select and continue” to go to the next step of the Wizard.
In the next step, the Master data of the copied entity which differs from the source entity can be filled out. Additional data can also be entered:
Clicking “Save” will start the copying process. When done, the following window should show, and you can go directly o the copied entity site by clicking “Go to Site”:
The copied entity now also shows in the business module list: