Article last updated on the 6th of November 2019.
WorkPoint supports SharePoint's ability to group documents and items by specific columns and have them show as expandable groups. This can provide a better overview of documents and other information and make it easy to find whatever information one might need.
This feature works by creating a view with a group by-setting set up for WorkPoint Express to work with. The setup of such a column is shown in the configuration-section of this article.
This feature works specifically for WorkPoint Express. A WorkPoint Express license and software is therefore required for utilizing this feature.
For this feature to work, we will create a list view for a documents library with the group-by-settings set up to work with WorkPoint Express. Follow these steps:
- In the documents library on the master site of the business module for which this feature should be enabled, click the cog-icon in the top right corner of the page to access the SharePoint settings.
- Click the “Library settings”-menu item.
- In the documents library settings, scroll to the “Views”-section and click “Create view”.
- From the “View Type”-selection page, choose “Standard View”.
- On the “Create View”-page, give the view a name.
- Optionally set the view to be the default view. This will also apply to WorkPoint Express.
- Select which columns to show when the view is active.
- Scroll to the “Group by”-section and expand it by clicking the small “+”-icon to the left of the label.
- Select the first column that the view should group elements by. In this case, “Modified by” will be the first column.
- Select the second column that the view should group elements by. In this case, “Approval state” will be the second column.
- Choose whether the groups should be collapsed or expanded by default. In this example, we will choose “Expanded”.
- We are going to leave all other settings as default and click “OK” to finish creating the view.
The next step is to replicate this view out onto all individual sites on the business module. We will do this through a master site synchronization:
- On the WorkPoint solution, click the “Home”-button.
- Click the cog-icon to enter the WorkPoint Administration.
- In the WorkPoint Administration, click the header of the business module for which the view was created. In this case, we created the view on the Projects business module.
- Choose “Master Site Synchronization” from the Advanced Settings section of the list.
- On the Master Site Synchronization page, deselect all lists except the Documents list.
- Start the Master Site Synchronization by clicking the “Synchronize all”-button.
Master site synchronization may take a while depending on how many sites are being synchronized. Please allow the system to finish the operation uninterrupted, and please do not shut down your system.
Progress of the synchronization can be viewed by clicking the “Refresh”-label atop the list of synchronizations at the bottom of the page (pt. 7):
Once the master site synchronization is complete, no more configuration needs to be done for this feature to work.
4. End User Guide
Click here to go to the end user guide article for Group by.