WorkPoint supports SharePoint's ability to group documents and items by specific columns and have them show as expandable groups. This can provide a better overview of documents and other information and make it easy to find whatever information one might need.
This feature works by creating a view with a group by-setting set up for WorkPoint Express to work with. The setup of such a column is shown in the configuration-section of this article.
This feature works specifically for WorkPoint Express. A WorkPoint Express license and software is therefore required for utilizing this feature.
For this feature to work, we will create a list view for a documents library with the group-by-settings set up to work with WorkPoint Express. Follow these steps:
- In the documents library on the master site of the business module for which this feature should be enabled, click the cog-icon in the top right corner of the page to access the SharePoint settings.
- Click the “Library settings”-menu item.
- In the documents library settings, scroll to the “Views”-section and click “Create view”.
- From the “View Type”-selection page, choose “Standard View”.
- On the “Create View”-page, give the view a name.
- Optionally set the view to be the default view. This will also apply to WorkPoint Express.
- Select which columns to show when the view is active.
- Scroll to the “Group by”-section and expand it by clicking the small “+”-icon to the left of the label.
- Select the first column that the view should group elements by. In this case, “Modified by” will be the first column.
- Select the second column that the view should group elements by. In this case, “Approval state” will be the second column.
- Choose whether the groups should be collapsed or expanded by default. In this example, we will choose “Expanded”.
- We are going to leave all other settings as default and click “OK” to finish creating the view.
The next step is to replicate this view out onto all individual sites on the business module. We will do this through a master site synchronization:
- On the WorkPoint solution, click the “Home”-button.
- Click the cog-icon to enter the WorkPoint Administration.
- In the WorkPoint Administration, click the header of the business module for which the view was created. In this case, we created the view on the Projects business module.
- Choose “Master Site Synchronization” from the Advanced Settings section of the list.
- On the Master Site Synchronization page, deselect all lists except the Documents list.
- Start the Master Site Synchronization by clicking the “Synchronize all”-button.
Master site synchronization may take a while depending on how many sites are being synchronized. Please allow the system to finish the operation uninterrupted, and please do not shut down your system.
Progress of the synchronization can be viewed by clicking the “Refresh”-label atop the list of synchronizations at the bottom of the page (pt. 7):
Once the master site synchronization is complete, no more configuration needs to be done for this feature to work.
4. End User Guide
Building upon the example from the configuration section, an end user can access document libraries on projects to see items grouped by the columns that were specified:
- In WorkPoint Express, access the business module for which the group-by view was created.
- Access a document library for a project in the list.
- If the view was not set to be the default view in pt. 6 in the configuration section, we can switch to the view here.
- In the list of documents and items, we can see that the items are now grouped by first the “Modified by” column, and then the “Approval state”-column, as was specified in the configuration.
- The expanded columns (Modified by and Approval state) can be expanded and collapsed by clicking the "+" and "-" buttons to the left of the column headers.
Please note that WorkPoint Express resets to the default view whenever changing library. This means that if the Group by-view was not set to be the default view, the user must switch to it every time they want items to be grouped in this way.
Documents and items can be uploaded to WorkPoint through WorkPoint Express. This feature also makes it possible to automatically have meta data for uploaded items set in accordance with the grouping it was uploaded on. This means that if you upload e.g. a document onto the “Approval state : Approved” header, the document’s approval state is automatically set to be “Approved”.
This works in the following way:
- Drag a document or an item from a location.
- Drop the item on the “Approval state : Approved”-header. It is important that the item is dropped on the header.
- In the Upload-window, note the set approval state of the item to be uploaded.
- Click “OK” to upload the item.
Note that the Text Document item is now uploaded under the “Approval state : Approved” group: