Article last updated on the 3rd of May, 2022.
The Limited Users feature allows a WorkPoint Administrator to define normal users and limited users. Limited users are restricted by the system to perform a limited set of actions.
As an example of this, limited users do not have access to the following features:
- WorkPoint document provisioning
- Can not:
- Create documents based on templates
- Create documents using the WorkPoint document wizard
- Create document sets
- Can not:
- Change stages
- Relation management
- Business module entity creation and management
A full list of restrictions for limited users can be found in the "List of Restrictions"-section here.
A use case for this feature could be if a production company has a certain amount of users who uses WorkPoint and requires the use of all necessary features, but also has a small amount of users who only on occasion need access to a couple of documents. These users should not have full access to the system, but should be able to access documents in a simple way. The Limited Users feature could be used to define the normal users to have normal, non-restricted access to the system, and define the specific users as limited users.
Another use case could be if a company works with a set of external users, who should not have full access to the system, but should be able to see and edit certain documents.
There are currently no requirements associated with this feature.
Configuration and setup of the Limited Users feature can be done from the WorkPoint Administration, which can be accessed by following these steps:
- On the solution, click the "Home" button.
- Click the cog icon in the side panel to access the WorkPoint Administration.
- In the left side menu of the WorkPoint Administration, click "Limited users".
It is a good idea to start by setting the users/groups which should be normal users first, before enabling the Limited Users feature.
This is because by default, when Limited Users are enabled, all users are set as Limited Users. Administrators can define which users and/or groups are defined as Normal Users:
- In the "Normal users" field, click and start typing the name, email or SharePoint group of the personnel that should be defined as Normal Users. The system will search and find results matching your entry, which then becomes selectable. Multiple users and/or groups can be defined as Normal Users, and custom SharePoin groups can be created to hold certain personnel.
- When done selecting the desired users and/or groups, click the "Add"-button. The following dialogue appears:
As the dialogue says, Normal Users are cached in the browser, and in order to apply the settings immediately, a refresh of the cache is required:
- Click the "Refresh cache" text button to refresh the cache and apply the settings.
- From this section, users and/or groups defined as Normal Users can be undefined as such by deleting them from the list.
- When the cache has been refreshed, the actual normal users cached appears in the "Actual normal users cached" list.
We can now enable the Limited Users feature. Remember that all users not set to be normal users will now be set as limited users.
- Enable the Limited Users feature by checking "Enabled" on.
- To enable the feature immediately, click the "Save" button.
4. End User Guide
Click here to go to the end user guide article for Limited Users.
5. List of Restrictions
Limited users are restricted by the system in the following way:
|Limited Users can||Limited Users cannot
|Access WorkPoint from the browser
||Access WorkPoint from the WorkPoint mobile app|
|Create, edit, and view documents||Access WorkPoint via office add-in|
|Create, edit, and view elements||Access WorkPoint via WorkPoint Express|
|See relations1||Access Email Manager2|
|Use the WorkPoint Express (search) panel in the browser
||Create documents via wizards and templates|
|Copy documents via wizards|
|Create and edit relations|
|Activate actions via MyTools|
- Users can only see relations if they have permission to view both parties of the relation
- Requires specific license for Email Manager. The above information covers only access to Email Manager via apps (webparts, office add-in, etc.)
Be advised that the number of limited users cannot exceed the amount of limited user licenses for a given solution.